District Council of Tumby Bay

Do I need to submit an application for my septic system?

If you have lodged an application with Council for a new dwelling or have obtained Development Approval for a new dwelling, or renovating your existing house, altering your existing plumbing work or upgrading your current waste control system then you will be required to submit an application to Council.

Application for an On-site Wastewater Works Approval(376 kb)

The South Australian Public Health (Wastewater) Regulations 2013 and the SA On-site Wastewater Systems Code stipulate the requirements for treatment and disposal of waste on properties not serviced by SA Water.  Anyone intending to install a new onsite wastewater system or alter an existing one needs to comply with these Regulations and Code.  

Key changes from previous legislation:

  • A wastewater engineer’s site and soil assessment is required for all sites with onsite disposal of wastewater.  It needs to accompany the application submitted to Council.
  • Only licensed plumbers are permitted to undertake wastewater works.  This includes works associated with soakage systems and irrigation areas associated with aerobic wastewater treatment systems.

Below are links to the Regulations and Code for onsite wastewater systems:

On-site Wastewater Systems Code

South Australian Public Health Wastewater Regulations 2013